Prerequisite Opportunity: ARCHIVE**Potluck In The Park - Wrap Up Crew (age 16+) *Hands On*
Hunger & Homelessness,
Age Minimum (with Adult) - 16, Minimum Age - 16+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed, Skill Category - N/A
ARCHIVE**Potluck In The Park - Wrap Up Crew (age 16+) *Hands On*
Potluck in the Park has been serving a free hot meal to anyone in need - no questions asked - since 1991. Every Sunday, rain or shine, 52 weeks a year, we’re providing a hot meal in downtown Portland. Thanks to volunteers like you, every Sunday a public park becomes a community of those wishing to serve anyone in need.
Want to play a vital role in supporting Potluck in the Park? The generous time and energy of the Wrap Up Crew allow Potluck in the Park to operate week after week. Potluck in the Park is proud of its reputation and recognition as a responsible event that leaves no trace. This requires a group of volunteers - you! - who are able and willing to roll up their sleeves for a good cause.
Wrap Up Crew tasks include: breaking down meal service; managing trash, recycling, and (coming soon) compost from meal service; sweeping and grounds keeping of the site and surrounding area; other wrap up tasks. This is a highly physical shift and some lifting is involved. This shift does not include meal service. This is a good fit for anyone looking to complete required service hours.
This is an outdoor shift, rain or shine. Plan for the weather and dress accordingly. If it's a sunny day, be sure to wear sunscreen. If it's raining, bring a jacket. Always wear sturdy, comfortable shoes.
Because this is a very popular project that requires a high-level of coordination, all volunteers MUST sign up ahead of time to reserve a volunteer slot. Volunteer teams must also sign up below.
To sign up a team:
1. Log in to your volunteer account;
2. Click “create a new team” from your account overview;
3. Fill out the form and click “create team";
**Note** All team members MUST be real people – do not add “filler” or anonymous team members.
4. Return to this page and click “sign up with a team” below;
**Do not click the “sign up” button or you will only reserve one volunteer slot.
5. Follow instructions on the next page to choose your team and specify participating team members;
6. Click “submit”;
You will receive an email from Hands On if you have successfully signed up your team. You can also check or update your team sign ups through your volunteer account. Need help creating or signing up a team? Or are you unsure if your team has the correct number of slots reserved? Email us: email@example.com or call: 503-200-3364.
Potluck in the Park is one of the few weekend meal services available for anyone experiencing hunger. 400 - 800 Portlanders do not go hungry on Sunday because of Potluck in the Park. Food is donated by individuals, businesses, organizations, and religious institutions of all faiths. Supplemental donations are gleaned on a weekly basis from area grocers, bakers, wholesalers, hotels, restaurant owners, and caterers.
We are a volunteer-driven, grass roots, tax exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Our budget goes directly to the people who need it, people who otherwise might not receive a hot meal. We accomplish our mission of providing nutritious food and an atmosphere of community to anyone in need, because of you and others like you!
NOTE: In order to better communicate with volunteers, Potluck in the Park regularly sends out mailers and newsletters. To facilitate this, Potluck in the Park would like to use the contact information you supply when signing up to participate at Potluck In The Park. Potluck in the Park does not release this information to any other third party. If you do NOT wish to share your contact info with Potluck in the Park, please let the registration staff know on the day and you will be excluded from our e-newsletter and other mailings.
- We ask that volunteers are 16 years of age or older to attend this project. We reserve the right to refuse offers of service from under-age children or any other person, where the volunteer organizer or other appropriate Potluck personnel feel it sensible to do so.
- If you plan to bring your teen or other guests to the event, you MUST reserve slots for them. The best way to do this is to create a Volunteer Team. You can then sign up your team for this project.
- All volunteers under 18 are required to bring a waiver signed by their parent or legal guardian, or - if attending with an adult - have them fill one it at the event. Please download, complete, and bring this waiver with you on the day of the project: Youth Volunteer Release Form. Remember to give this to the person running check in!
Click "Sign Up" below to reserve your spot!
Need help signing up? Call Hands On at 503-200-3364.