Age Minimum (with Adult): 13+, Minimum Age:18+
Make Meals from the Heart at Ronald McDonald House - East (age 13+) *Hands On*
OUR ORGANIZATION'S MISSON
In many communities and cultures, it is traditional for friends and neighbors to prepare meals for loved ones who are caring for a sick family member. It is an act of kindness that translates feelings of concern into a tangible expression of human compassion.
The families that stay at Ronald McDonald House are often far away from family, friends and other support systems that would normally help them through a difficult time. They return to the House after a long day at the hospital and cooking a meal for themselves may be low on their long list of priorities. The chance for these families to sit down to a home-cooked meal is another way that makes the Ronald McDonald House truly a “home away from home” for families whose children are critically ill.
All volunteers that come into the house learn about what we do, meet the families that we serve, and truly see what a difference you make providing a direct service to all of our families so they can focus on their child!
FOR THIS PROJECT
Volunteers will be asked to bring ingredients to contribute to the meal and the group will prepare dinner on-site for the families at Ronald McDonald House. The volunteer leader will contact each volunteer to instruct you on what ingredients to bring.
We're counting on you! It is imperative that if you sign up for this project, you intend to be there and provide the ingredients that are assigned to you. When volunteers don't show up, we're not able to make the meal. If you are unable to attend, please let your Volunteer Leader know ASAP!
Please note: no volunteer will be turned away due to lack of resources. If bringing a food item is a hardship for you, please alert the Volunteer Leader.
VOLUNTEERING WITH US
Volunteers will work together in the kitchen, guided by the Volunteer Leader, to prepare dinner for our families in residence. All ingredients must be prepped on site or brought from a commercial kitchen such as a store bakery or local restaurant. The meal will be set out buffet style at 6pm. This allows families to come into the dining room as their schedule allows and serve themselves from the family style platters the volunteers have made.
We encourage volunteers to clean-up as they prepare the meal, but ask that anything left from the preparation, after the meal has been set out for our families, be washed as well. Once that is taken care of, volunteers are welcome to join the families for the meal, if they feel comfortable doing so. Even though dinner is set out buffet style for families to serve themselves, we ask that volunteers package up all the remaining food right before 7pm in our to-go leftover containers, and place them in the red dot fridge.
Getting the sniffles?
We serve families with immune suppressed patients, so we ask that anyone working with food must be symptom-free of contagious illness (fever, productive cough, unexplained rash, etc.) for 5 days prior to visiting. If someone in your group comes down with the sniffles, please ask someone new to join you. If it’s your whole group, just let us know. We are happy to reschedule with you.
When You Arrive:
Our East House is located on Legacy Emmanuel’s campus. Please park in the upper parking lot (the first one you see when you turn onto our road) or in one of the parking garages. Please help us leave the lot closest to the House open for our guests and families. If you need to unload anything, please pull in to the closest lot to unload, and then move your vehicle afterwards.
Parking Structure 3: top and bottom levels only, the spots without "Patient/Visitor" markings on them.
Parking Structures 1 & 4 (North side of campus): top levels only
Surface lots: West of the construction site and in between Vancouver/Williams)
- Please do not wear cologne or perfume in the house.
- Please do not take pictures of families staying at the house. You may take pictures of the house, your group, and any staff/volunteers who agree to be photographed.
- To assure the protection of the confidentiality and privacy of families, volunteers will hold in strict confidence all information acquired through service at the house, including but not limited to: names, addresses, diagnoses, and personal circumstances.
- Volunteers may not, under any circumstances, take responsibility for supervising or caring for children in the absence of a parent or guardian.
- Because we serve families with immune suppressed patients, it is important for us to ask about any current or recent illness. Everyone volunteering at the House must be symptom-free of contagious illness (fever, productive cough, unexplained rash, etc.) and head lice for 48 hours prior to visiting, and not have been exposed to diptheria, measles, mumps, TB, chicken pox, or shingles within the last 3 weeks. If you do not meet these requirements, we will need you to reschedule your visit as you may pose a danger to the immune suppressed patients in our House. Thank you for your understanding and for helping to keep our House safe!
Volunteers must be 13 years of age or older to attend this project; any volunteer under age 18 must attend with a parent or adult chaperone.
All volunteers under 18 are required to bring a Youth Volunteer Release Form signed by their parent or legal guardian. Please download, complete, and bring this waiver with you on the day of the project.
If you plan to bring children or guests you MUST reserve slots for them. The best way to do this is to create a Volunteer Team, then sign up your team for this project.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You are responsible for ensuring that everyone signed up through your team attends - only sign up team members who have confirmed their availability. Teams that repeatedly sign up, but do not show up or show up with fewer volunteers than they signed up, may be removed. To add or remove team members from a project, click on "My Account" and then "My Teams," above.
Click "Sign Up" below to reserve your spot!
Need help signing up? Call 503-200-3355.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: