Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Provide assistance to Military Members and Families in need! (age 18+) Referral
Help support our nation’s military, veterans and their families by becoming a Red Cross Client Services Volunteer. The Red Cross will provide emergency casework services for military members and their families when faced with an urgent need. Volunteers are needed to join the Service to the Armed Forces Casework Team.
Using our online casework system, our Clients Services Volunteers will act as a liaison between military families and their actively deployed loved ones, setting up lines of communication and in certain cases, travel home, in the face of emergencies. Consider joining our team of dedicated volunteers, serving those who serve our county.
• Maintain strict confidentiality of any case notes, names and other personal information in accordance with Red Cross policies
• Understand and apply Service to Armed Forces (SAF) policies, procedures and protocols related to Red Cross client services consistently and correctly
• Support the critical community services cases; which can include an intake interview to assess client needs and providing appropriate service to clients including referrals to other agencies; and the follow up process to include making follow-up calls to military members and/or families to determine if their needs are met, providing other follow-up actions needed for complete and timely client service
• Acquire a working knowledge of local, state and federal resources aiding military members, families and veterans
• Maintain professionalism and conduct as stated in Red Cross policy
• Successful American Red Cross background check
• Complete required national training and locally developed orientation
• Able to support Red Cross SAF mission; have an awareness of and appreciation for military culture, military families, and veterans' issues
• Demonstrated ability to treat people with respect under all circumstances and instill trust in others while upholding the values and principles of the American Red Cross
• Ability to apply active listening skills and employ reasoning and questioning strategies to capture, analyze, and interpret information from clients, staff, and management
• Good computer skills to include use of Internet search tools; Intranet; and Microsoft Office Suite, to include Outlook, word-processing, database and/or spreadsheet applications
• Effective interviewing skills and a sound knowledge of telephone and in-person etiquette and pleasant and friendly manners respectful of human dignity
• Ability to work with or without supervision
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Good customer service skills; Ability to work well with others
• Willingness to gain knowledge of community resources
• Able to work with culturally diverse populations
• Orientation to the American Red Cross
• Specific SAF on-line casework and case management system training
• Specific SAF classroom training regarding practices, policies and procedures
• SAF Basic Training webinars (SAF Overview; Military 101; Family Follow-up; etc.)
• Familiarization with the Client Assistance Manual (CAM)
• Diversity, Sensitivity and Awareness eLearning (Recommended)
The mission of the American Red Cross is to alleviate human suffering in the face of disasters by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
As a Client Services Caseworker, volunteers will play a crucial role in connecting families with their deployed loved ones. The Red Cross is one of very few organizations allowed to offer this resource.
Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older to participate in this opportunity.
Click on "Express Interest" below if you are interested in helping out!
**This is a Referral Opportunity, which means it is run directly by one of our nonprofit partners. Once you express interest, someone from the partner organization should follow up with you shortly to discuss confirming you as a volunteer for this opportunity.
**Please note, your hours may not be recorded in your Hands On Greater Portland account since this is a partner-managed opportunity.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: