Age Minimum (with Adult): 21+, Minimum Age:21+
Change a Life - Be a Foster Parent for Teens! (age 21+) Referral
About Us: Boys & Girls Aid has a 135-year history providing quality foster care services to children and families in Oregon. We’re focused on a future where every child, teen and young adult has the tools necessary to build lifelong and lasting relationships. We're committed to ensuring every child grows up with a family of their own.
About The Role: We are looking for foster parents to help guide children toward a healthier, happier future. If you have room in your heart and home and can offer a safe, stable, and caring home for a child, please get in touch.
The Neighborhood serves youth ages 12+ who are in Therapeutic Foster Care. These youth are in need of more support and guidance than regular foster care. Many of these youth have had extended involvement within the foster system, have had little stability and have experienced high-levels of trauma. These experiences affect a youth’s social and emotional behaviors as well as their trust in adults. Youth in Therapeutic Foster Care often have very few community connections. The Neighborhood creates a support network that mimics an extended family network developed to meet the complex needs of our youth. Foster families are valued and supported, and youth are at the center of a community network whose goal is to help them flourish! Placements last an average of 9 months – 2 years.
What support does Boys & Girls Aid provide?
• $1,750 tax-free monthly stipend (per youth) to support the needs of the youth
• 24-hour on-call support and guidance, both on the phone and in-person
• Free trauma-informed training in addition to individual and group support meetings
• Collaborative support team to meet the needs of the youth and support foster parents
• Two days off per month
• Be at least 21 years old
• Have a residence within the Portland Metro Area with an open bedroom available
• Ability to pass a federal, state, and local criminal background check and child abuse check
• Have a valid Oregon Driver's License
• Have a reliable vehicle to transport youth daily
• Provide a separate bedroom in the home for the foster youth with a window and a door
**This is a Referral Opportunity, which means it is run directly by one of our nonprofit partners. Once you express interest, someone from the partner organization should follow up with you shortly to discuss confirming you as a volunteer for this opportunity.
**Please note, your hours may not be recorded in your Hands On Greater Portland account since this is a partner-managed opportunity.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: