Age Minimum (with Adult): 12+, Minimum Age:13+
ARCHIVE**Potluck In The Park (age 12+) *Hands On*
Potluck in the Park has been serving a free hot meal to anyone in need - no questions asked - since 1991. Every Sunday, rain or shine, 52 weeks a year, we’re providing a hot meal in downtown Portland. Thanks to volunteers like you, every Sunday a public park becomes a community of those wishing to serve anyone in need.
Because this is a very popular, large-scale project that requires a high-level of coordination, all volunteers MUST sign up ahead of time to reserve a volunteer slot. Volunteer teams must also sign up below and teams of more than 12 people MUST email the Opportunity Coordinator listed below for approval. It is only under special circumstances and with the EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION of the Volunteer Coordinator listed below, that teams over 12 members will be accepted. Contact Kellie at email@example.com to request permission to bring a large group.
1. Log in to your volunteer account
2. Click “create a new team” from your account overview
3. Fill out the form and click “create team"
Note: all team members MUST be real people – do not add “filler” or anonymous team members! Any problems? Contact Lydia Cox at Hands On!
4. Return to this page and click “or sign up with a team” below (do not click the “sign up” button, or you will only reserve one volunteer slot)
5. Follow instructions on the next page to choose your team and specify participating team members
6. Click “submit”
Note: your team will not be signed up until you select which specific team members will be attending and click "submit." Do not skip this step or volunteer slots will not be held for your team.
Volunteers should check in no earlier than 2:00pm and no later than 2:15pm. The actual meal service always starts at 3:00pm. We even provide limited cat and dog food for companion animals! Between 4:30pm and 5:00pm we wind down the meal service and breakdown/clean up of the site begins. Some heavy lifting is involved in this stage, but there are always tasks to be done that don't require strong arms and backs.
Potluck in the Park is one of the few weekend meal services available for anyone experiencing hunger. 400 - 800 Portlanders do not go hungry on Sunday because of Potluck in the Park. Food is donated by individuals, businesses, organizations and religious institutions of all faiths. Supplemental donations are gleaned on a weekly basis from area grocers, bakers, wholesalers, hotels, restaurant owners and caterers.
We are a volunteer-driven, grass roots, nonprofit, tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization. Our budget goes directly to the people who need it, people who otherwise might not receive a hot meal. We accomplish our mission of providing nutritious food and an atmosphere of community to anyone in need, because of you and others like you! This is also a large-scale event and your patience and flexibility on-site is appreciated!
NOTE: In order to better communicate with volunteers, Potluck in the Park regularly sends out mailers and newsletters. To facilitate this, Potluck in the Park would like to use the contact information you supply when signing up to participate at Potluck In The Park. Potluck in the Park does not release this information to any other third party. If you do NOT wish to share your contact info with Potluck in the Park, please let the registration staff know on the day and you will be excluded from our e-newsletter and other mailings.
- We ask that volunteers are 12 years of age or older to attend this project; we do make exceptions on a case by case basis where a volunteer is younger than 12 years old, but we reserve the right to restrict them to areas appropriate to age and stature (some areas have VERY heavy containers for instance, whilst serving very hot food is not advisable.) We further reserve the right to refuse offers of service from under-age children or indeed any other person, where the volunteer organizer or other appropriate Potluck personnel feel it sensible so to do. Any volunteer under age 16 must attend with a parent or adult chaperone.
- If you plan to bring your children or other guests to the event, you MUST reserve slots for them. The best way to do this is to create a Volunteer Team. You can then sign up your team for this project.
- All volunteers under 18 are required to bring a waiver signed by their parent or legal guardian, or - if attending with an adult - have them fill one it at the event. Please download, complete, and bring this waiver with you on the day of the project: Youth Volunteer Release Form. Remember to give this to the person running check-in!
Click "Sign Up" below to reserve your spot!
Need help signing up? Call Hands On at 503-200-3364.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: