Court-Ordered Volunteering

If you have community service hours to complete, here are the ways Hands On Greater Portland can assist you - we have found the following guidelines to be helpful: 

If you have 50 or fewer hours to complete and at least two months before your submission date:

1. Download the Tracking Form and use our Project Calendar

Use this Tracking Form to keep track of your volunteer hours and obtain the coordinator's signature for each project you attend. Choose projects that fit your schedule and be aware that our projects are usually 2-4 hours long. To sign up, create an account on our website and then sign up for projects through our Project Calendar.

Remember to track your hours. It's up to you to submit proof of your community service. Keep a list of hours worked on the Tracking Form we have provided. Please note: Once you have completed all of your hours, submit the Tracking Form to us by Fax at 503.226.9385. We will then verify the hours and forward the form to the courts within 48 business hours.

If you have more than 50 hours to complete and/or a short timeframe (less than two months) before your submission date:

2. Contact Agencies Directly

If you have many hours to complete, or need to complete them within a short time, we recommend you work directly with an agency where you can work repeatedly, or for longer shifts. Check the list of organizations below and then contact them to see if they have available opportunities. You may also browse all our nonprofit partners through our Partner DirectoryKeep in mind: if you set up projects with an agency directly, they will be responsible for the final verification of your service.

If you're unsure of the best fit for you, please contact us.

Explain why you are Volunteering

Some agencies won't work with Court Ordered volunteers, or do so only on a limited basis. Be up front with them and explain why you are calling. Hands On Greater Portland volunteers must sign a waiver that they've never been convicted of or charged with a violent crime, child abuse or neglect, child pornography, child abduction, kidnapping, rape or any sexual offense, or ordered by a court to receive psychiatric or psychological treatment in connection to that crime. Unfortunately, if you have been convicted or charged with any of these crimes, you will not be able to use our Project Calendar. Instead, you should contact agencies or the county courts for volunteer opportunities.

Portland area suggestions:

The Rebuilding Center

Portland Parks & Recreation

Portland Metro

Forest Park Conservancy

Oregon Food Bank

Oregon Humane Society
503.285.7722, ext. 234

Washington County suggestions:

My New Red Shoes
*Note: Volunteers must have sewing skills to participate.*

Good Neighbor Center

Community Partners for Affordable Housing

Cedar Mill Library
503.644.0043, x111

Cat Adoption Team

Oregon Food Bank (Beaverton)

The Media Foundation