Make Meals from the Heart at Ronald McDonald House - West (age 13+) *Hands On*
OUR ORGANIZATION'S MISSON
The families that stay at Ronald McDonald House are often far away from family, friends and other support systems that would normally help them through a difficult time. When they return to the House after a long day at the hospital, cooking a meal is often low on their long list of priorities. The chance for these families to sit down together to a home- cooked meal without the stress or time needed to prepare it is invaluable. The community members, corporate teams and family who volunteer their time and energy to prepare these meals play an important role in helping the Ronald McDonald Houses truly be a “home away from home.”
FOR THIS PROJECT
Volunteers will be asked to bring ingredients to contribute to the meal and the group will prepare dinner on-site for the families at Ronald McDonald House. The volunteer leader will contact each volunteer to instruct you on what ingredients to bring.
We're counting on you! It is imperative that if you sign up for this project, you intend to be there and provide the ingredients that are assigned to you. When volunteers don't show up, we're not able to make the meal. If you are unable to attend, please let your Volunteer Leader know ASAP!
Please note: no volunteer will be turned away due to lack of resources. If bringing a food item is a hardship for you, please alert the Volunteer Leader.
VOLUNTEERING WITH US
Volunteers will work together in the kitchen, guided by the Volunteer Leader, to prepare dinner for our families in residence. All ingredients must be prepped on site or brought from a commercial kitchen such as a store bakery or local restaurant. The meal will be set out buffet style at 6pm.
We encourage volunteers to clean-up as they prepare the meal, but ask that anything left from the preparation, after the meal has been set out for our families, be washed as well. Once that is taken care of, volunteers are welcome to join the families for the meal, if they feel comfortable doing so. Even though dinner is set out buffet style for families to serve themselves, we ask that volunteers package up all the remaining food right before 7pm in our to-go leftover containers, and place them in the red dot fridge.
When You Arrive:
The West House is on the 5th floor of the Marriott Residence Inn located on the SW Waterfront at: 2115 SW River Parkway, in downtown Portland, not to be confused with the other Marriott on Naito Parkway.
*Park – You can either park in the hotel loading zone, then need to notify hotel staff you are with RMHC (so they can open the parking gates) and move your car to a designated parking space. OR, please feel free to pull your car to the very last parking garage gate, P1, press the buzzer, tell the staff you are with RMHC, and pull into the garage into a parking space.
*Sign-In – Check in at the office in Room 514 on the 5th floor
- Please do not wear cologne or perfume in the house.
- Please do not take pictures of families staying at the house. You may take pictures of the house, your group, and any staff/volunteers who agree to be photographed.
- To assure the protection of the confidentiality and privacy of families, volunteers will hold in strict confidence all information acquired through service at the house, including but not limited to: names, addresses, diagnoses, and personal circumstances.
- Volunteers may not, under any circumstances, take responsibility for supervising or caring for children in the absence of a parent or guardian.
- Because we serve families with immune suppressed patients, it is important for us to ask about any current or recent illness. Everyone volunteering at the House must be symptom-free of contagious illness (fever, productive cough, unexplained rash, etc.) and head lice for 48 hours prior to visiting, and not have been exposed to diptheria, measles, mumps, TB, chicken pox, or shingles within the last 3 weeks. If you do not meet these requirements, we will need you to reschedule your visit as you may pose a danger to the immune suppressed patients in our House. Thank you for your understanding and for helping to keep our House safe!
Volunteers must be 13 years of age or older to attend this project; any volunteer
under age 18 must attend with a parent or adult chaperone.
All volunteers must sign up separately on RMHC’s volunteer database. Thisinformation will be provided to you after you sign up.
All volunteers under 18 are required to bring a Youth Volunteer Release Form signed by their parent or legal guardian. Please download, complete, and bring this waiver with you on the day of the project.
If you plan to bring children or guests you MUST reserve slots for them. The best way to do this is to create a Volunteer Team, then sign up your team for this project.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You are responsible for ensuring that everyone signed up through your team attends - only sign up team members who have confirmed their availability. Teams that repeatedly sign up, but do not show up or show up with fewer volunteers than they signed up, may be removed. To add or remove team members from a project, click on "My Account" and then "My Teams," above.
Click "Sign Up" below to reserve your spot!
Need help signing up? Call 503-200-3355.
4/2/19 4:00 PM