Need Volunteers? This is the place to start!
Hands On Greater Portland works in partnership with hundreds of community-based nonprofit agencies to provide volunteers with a variety of meaningful opportunities for service and leadership.
Are you an active Nonprofit Partner looking for more information about our new website? Visit our For Current Partners page for technology updates, as well as info on logging in, submitting and managing opportunities, and more.
Follow these steps to apply for Nonprofit Partnership:
1. Make sure you're eligible - Hands On Greater Portland partners with community-based agencies that fit the following criteria:
Your organization is:
- An organization with 501(c)3 nonprofit status, a public/not-for-profit school or a government organization
- Based in Multnomah, Washington, or Clark County (organizations based in Clackamas County are considered on a case-by-case basis)
Your organization is not:
- A political campaign
Your organization does not:
- Discriminate in its staff, board, volunteers, volunteer committees or recipients of services on the basis of a person's race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, or mental or physical disability or any other status prohibited by applicable law.
Your organization has:
- Liability insurance that covers volunteers
2. Confirm that your organization isn't already a partner - It's possible that someone else from your organization has already been through the partnership process. Check out Nonprofit Partner Directory to ensure that your organization isn't already an active Nonprofit Partner. The Application is an in-depth process so it is to your advantage to look at our directory first.
If you find your organization in the directory or if you think your organization has been a partner in the past (but may currently be inactive), contact us so that we can reactivate your account and/or add you as a contact for your organization.
3. Submit a Nonprofit Partner Application - Fill out and submit a Nonprofit Partner Application to begin the partnership process.
Applications are reviewed at the end of each quarter. Each application will be vetted and prioritized based on a variety of considerations, including organizations with:
a commitment to racial equity
mission and programs that are culturally specific or culturally responsive
volunteer projects that are addressing urgent needs in the community
volunteer projects that are likely to be popular with volunteers
volunteer projects that are lacking in our current portfolio of nonprofit partners.
impact areas that are aligned with United Way’s mission to free the future for kids living in poverty
If your organization has been selected, we will follow up with you to complete the process, which includes completing the following paperwork:
- Partnership MOU (Memorandum of Understanding)
- Mutual Release of Liability and Indemnification Agreement
- Safety Policy and Plan
- Non-discrimination Agreement
Thank you in advance for your submission! We know that you are all doing amazing work! We will let you know if your organization has either been approved or denied partnership with Hands On Greater Portland.
In order to provide our partners and volunteers with the best customer service possible, we're unable to post volunteer opportunities for organizations that have not completed the partnership process.
Below is a brief list of online resources for you to use if you have a volunteer opportunity that requires posting before the partnership process has been completed:
Thanks for your interest - we look forward to working with you!
Hands On Nonprofit Partners have a variety of resources at their fingertips, including:
Ability to connect with volunteers online - Whether you're looking for a group of volunteers to tackle a one-time project, event volunteers to support you annually or individual volunteers interested in committing to an on-going shift or skill-based project, we can help! As a partner you'll be able to post volunteer opportunities to our searchable online opportunity database, which hundreds of local volunteers visit every week.
Support in managing "done-in-a-day" volunteer projects - Let us do all the work! If you have a need that can be met by bringing in volunteers for a one-time, group-based, direct-service project, we're available to help develop the project, manage volunteer sign-ups, send confirmation and reminder emails to volunteers and track hours for those who attend. We'll also place one of our awesome Hands On trained Volunteer Leaders on the project to help support you and the volunteers.
Opportunity to work with corporate volunteers - Our BusinessCares program develops "done-in-a-day" volunteer projects for our corporate partners. This is a great way to introduce service-oriented companies from the Greater Portland area to your organization.
Access to additional resources and best practices - We strive to connect our Nonprofit Partners with valuable resources to strengthen their volunteer programs, while supporting them in addressing critical needs in the Greater Portland community. As a partner, you'll have access to resources such as: volunteer recruitment tips, information on networking opportunities and professional memberships, templates/samples documents, and more.
View our current Nonprofit Partners
See which organizations actively partner with us through our Nonprofit Partner Directory.
If you are a new partner or a new staff member hoping to understand more about your Hands On partnership, please contact us so we can schedule a one-on-one Nonprofit Partner training, which will provide you with the tools you need to post your organization's volunteer opportunities on our website and navigate other resources available to you.