Prerequisite Opportunity: Lead Volunteer Projects for Hands On: Knit, Get Artsy, Garden, more! (age 16+)
Civic & Community,
Age Minimum (with Adult) - 16, Minimum Age - 16+, Business: Communication/PR;Volunteering Management
Lead Volunteer Projects for Hands On: Knit, Get Artsy, Garden, more! (age 16+)
What is a Volunteer Leader?
Volunteer Leaders (aka VLs) play a BIG role in helping us manage our signature volunteer projects - from collaboration with our nonprofit partners, to volunteer sign-up support, to project management and follow-up. As our strongest link to the community, VLs ensure every volunteer has a great experience and that nonprofit's needs are being met.
In this hour and a half long training you will learn the basic skills needed to take on the leadership of a project as part of our core Volunteer Leader team. This training is a great way to find out if Hands On project leadership is right for you and to learn more about Hands On and the work that we do.
What is required to become a Volunteer Leader?
All Volunteer Leaders must be at least 16 years of age and must have already attended at least ONE OR TWO *Hands On* volunteer projects to attend the training.
Additionally, VLs should have:
Passion for community service and empowering others to give back
Desire to develop your leadership skills
Effective interpersonal skills - including strong communication skills, both in person and via email
Ability to track and log volunteer attendance records and project data
Experience as a general community volunteer
Ready to become a Volunteer Leader?1. Sign up for a training date, below.
2. Review the Volunteer Leader Position Description.
3. Submit your application before attending a training - this helps us learn about your volunteer leading interests and experience.
Upcoming VL trainings will focus specifically on leadership of the following projects:
- Get Your Hands Dirty at Zenger Farm (age 8+)
- Keep the Portland Memory Garden Beautiful (age 0+)
- Salvage Building Materials & Build Community (age 14+)
- Home Improvement at Human Solutions Family Shelter (age 12+) *Hands On*
- Serve a Meal and Play Bingo at Jean's Place (age 18+)
- Grocery Shop for Seniors (all ages)
- Stock the Cupboard: Oregon Food Bank (age 6+)
- Stock the Cupboard at Oregon Food Bank Beaverton (age 6+)
- Get Books to Children at the Children's Book Bank (age varies)
- Make Meals from the Heart at Ronald McDonald House - East (age 13+)