DeRail the Nails: An Adventure in Sustainable Salvage (age 14+) *MLK Weekend 18*
Join us in honoring the legacy of Dr. King through meaningful service to our community: "Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve."
-- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
ReBuilding Center works to inspire people to value and discover existing resources in order to strengthen the social and environmental vitality of communities.
We will be meeting to process salvaged lumber from local DeConstruction sites.
These materials are mindfully gleaned by our DeConstruction crew from structures that are slated to be demolished. Rather than smashing the structure to splintery wasteful bits, we go in and take it apart piece by piece in order to salvage about 85% of the building's parts. From the site, they land at our processing lot (where the team may be working) to become rid of it's nails, screws, staples and the like. We then use this lumber in the construction of tiny homes for the houseless, as instructing material for our award winning ReFind Education Program, or for re-sale in the ReBuilding Center's store at 40-90% off market value.
Be sure to wear closed-toed shoes and clothes that you don't mind getting a little dirty! If you have work gloves and safety glasses, feel free to bring them. We have plenty of spares as well. Bring a water bottle to stay hydrated :)
** Please note that the location of this project may be subject to change. If there is a change, the Volunteer Leader will notify volunteers via email.**
- Volunteers must be 14 years of age or older to attend this project; any volunteer under age 16 must attend with a parent or adult chaperone.
- All volunteers under 18 are required to bring a Youth Volunteer Release Form signed by their parent or legal guardian. Please download, complete, and bring this waiver with you on the day of the project.
- If you plan to bring children or guests you MUST reserve slots for them. The best way to do this is to create a Volunteer Team, then sign up your team for this project. In the spirit of creating an atmosphere where people from all parts of our community are coming together to volunteer,
- ?Team Captains are only able to reserve up to 50% of the spots on any individual MLK Weekend of Service Project. Team Captains are required to provide names and email addresses for each team member (over the age of 13) in order to hold spaces on a volunteer project or they may be removed from the project. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- IMPORTANT NOTE: You are responsible for ensuring that everyone signed up through your team attends - only sign up team members who have confirmed their availability. Teams that repeatedly sign up, but do not show up or show up with fewer volunteers than they signed up, may be removed. To add or remove team members from a project, click on "My Account" and then "My Teams," above.
Click "Sign Up" below to reserve your spot! Need help signing up? Call 503-200-3355.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 14+, Minimum Age:16+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: