Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Love to Cook? Cook for Homeless Kids at p:ear (age 18+) *MLK Weekend 2018*
Join us in honoring the legacy of Dr. King through meaningful service to our community: "Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve."
-- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
p:ear builds positive relationships with homeless and transitional youth, ages 15-25, through education, art and recreation to affirm personal worth and create more meaningful and healthier lives. Each year our programs serve more than 700 homeless and transitional young people. p:ear staff and volunteers serve as mentors, friends, and role models, while p:ear's unique programs create opportunities for young people to grow intellectually, express themselves constructively, communicate in positive ways and engage in meaningful interactions with the larger community of Portland.
The p:ear Kitchen and Food Program was developed to provide homeless young people with the opportunity to eat fresh, sustaining meals in a community setting ensuring kids can participate in p:ear's other programs and other aspects of their lives well-nourished.
In honor of MLK Day, come cook in p:ear's kitchen! We will be making soups and stews to freeze, which will carry us over the winter. You will be prepping food, cooking and cleaning up. p:ear will provide the ingredients and recipes... you provide the expertise and love!
Please note, this opportunity is ideal for those who are experienced (but not necessarily professional) cooks. Good home cooks are fine. Meals will not necessarily be vegetarian.
Volunteers must wear closed toe shoes and are encouraged to bring an apron (if desired).
- You must be 18+ years of age to attend this project.
- All volunteers are required to sign an MLK Volunteer Waiver (print it now, fill it out, and bring it with you to save time during project check in).
- If you plan to bring additional volunteers you MUST reserve slots for them. The best way to do this is to create a Volunteer Team, then sign up your team for this project. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Team Captains are only able to reserve up to 50% of the spots on any individual MLK Weekend of Service Project. Team Captains are required to provide names and email addresses for each team member (over the age of 13) in order to hold spaces on a volunteer project or they may be removed from the project. Questions? Email email@example.com
- IMPORTANT NOTE: You are responsible for ensuring that everyone signed up through your team attends - only sign up team members who have confirmed their availability. Teams that repeatedly sign up, but do not show up or show up with fewer volunteers than they signed up, may be removed. To add or remove team members from a project: log in to your volunteer account and click "Manage My Team" next to the appropriate upcoming opportunity.
Click "Sign Up" below to reserve your spot! Need help signing up? Call 503-200-3355.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: