Age Minimum (with Adult):18+, Minimum Age:18+
Weatherize Homes with the Community Energy Project (age 18+) *MLK Weekend 2018*
Join us in honoring the legacy of Dr. King through meaningful service to our community: "Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve."
-- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Community Energy Project, Inc., empowers people in the Portland metro area to maintain healthier, more livable homes, control their utility costs, and conserve natural resources.
We do this through education, hands-on training, and distribution of weatherization and lead poisoning prevention materials. We also provide direct weatherization and repair services to seniors and people with disabilities. We deliver these services in partnership with community members and service organizations, utilities, corporations, foundations, and government agencies. We envision a future where all people can afford to live in their homes with dignity, comfort, and safety.
This MLK Day, participate in "on the ground" work and take pride in helping seniors and people with disabilities weatherize their homes for the winter season!
Using simple draft stopping and energy saving materials such as silicone-acrylic and rope caulk, interior vinyl storm windows, and door weatherstripping, individuals and teams of volunteers weatherize the homes of 250 seniors and people with disabilities every year. We provide training for all of our volunteers before heading out to the homes. Basic knowledge of tools is useful, but not necessary, for this project.
What to Expect: Volunteers will arrive at the CEP's office by 9am for a brief Orientation and Training and then split into two or three groups and carpool and/or walk (depending on proximity) to a few different home sites for the projects themselves. Each group will then receive on site training by CEP staff and work on their project for a few hours before returning to the CEP's office for wrap-up.
Participants need to wear respectable clothes that they don't mind getting a little dirty. The work is indoors, however volunteers are encouraged to wear layers because home temperatures vary. We suggest bringing a water bottle for while you are working. Upon signing up, please let your volunteer leader know if you have any allergies or pet/smoke intolerance, as we will be working in people's home and we want to do our best to ensure comfortable working environments for everyone.
- You must be 18 years of age or older to attend this project.
- If you plan to bring guests you MUST reserve slots for them. The best way to do this is to create a Volunteer Team, then sign up your team for this project. In the spirit of creating an atmosphere where people from all parts of our community are coming together to volunteer,
- ?Team Captains are only able to reserve up to 50% of the spots on any individual MLK Weekend of Service Project. Team Captains are required to provide names and email addresses for each team member (over the age of 13) in order to hold spaces on a volunteer project or they may be removed from the project. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- IMPORTANT NOTE: You are responsible for ensuring that everyone signed up through your team attends - only sign up team members who have confirmed their availability. Teams that repeatedly sign up, but do not show up or show up with fewer volunteers than they signed up, may be removed. To add or remove team members from a project, click on "My Account" and then "My Teams," above.
Click "Sign Up" below to reserve your spot! Need help signing up? Call 503-200-3355.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: