Age Minimum (with Adult): 14+, Minimum Age:18+
Get Crafty for Newborns (age 18+) *Hands On*
Get Crafty has gone virtual on Zoom! Due to our practice of physical distancing and for the safety of all *this is not an in person project*. When signing up you will receive instructions from our Volunteer Leader. They will reach out with the Zoom log in to volunteer from home. This is not a class: Note: we expect all signed up volunteers to have knitting, or machine sewing or crocheting experience. All volunteer must be located in/near Portland, Oregon.
Examples of what we make: Booties, bibs, baby sack and burp cloths car seat blankets, crochet hats, blankets, machine sewn “face masks” for Virginia Garcia Clinic and nursing covers for the hospital etc.
How can crafting make a difference? You might wonder why all the recent fuss about knitting, crocheting, and sewing. Volunteers from the Hands On craft groups will say they love getting together to socialize with new friends and marvel over the creativity of items made. But those who really benefit from our crafting are the recipients of the handmade treasures.
Join in this project and knit, machine sew, or crochet anything baby to be donated to the Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Clinic and Randall Children's Neonatal Intensive Care. A handmade item will make a loving impression on a new mom and baby. Another option - make a garment for a toddler/child/youth to be used to help diffuse trauma & negative impacts on the younger set when they have to be admitted to the hospital.
Things to note:
1. All volunteers must know how to knit, or *MACHINE* sew, or crochet. This (unfortunately) is not an educational/teaching experience around these skills. The opporunity is group based in that volunteers come with projects in mind and materials on hand. We gather virtually to support each other in completeing projects while centering the needs of babies and their parents.
2.Volunteers will be asked to drop off the donations to the Volunter Leaders home (near Providence St. Vincent Medical Center) or make arrangements with the Volunteer Leader for donation drop off of the donated pieces.
3. Due to social distancing this project is not meeting in person, should you sign up please be ready with any materials you would need to knit, crochet, or machine sew.
4. All completed donation items need to be washed prior to donation. The baby items must be scent free, please wash without a drier sheet. Hospitals do not allow donation that have scents and animal hair. All items must be cleaned for clients before drop off. Thank you!
This project is currently ***VIRTUAL, a Zoom link will be sent to you upon signing up below***
Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older to attend this project.
Because this project is virtual any volunteers inviting a youth guest (anyone under 18) must stay with them the entire time. The volunteer must be the youth's parent or legal guardian. Youth are not allowed alone online on this project, thank you!
Click "Sign Up" below to reserve your spot! Need help signing up? Call 503-200-3355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: